First of all, it is very important for us to know that what SEO is. You must have read this many times now about what is search engine optimization. If we talk about today’s digital marketing age, the site whose SEO is not good is not able to rank. No matter how amazing content you write on your site, if there is no SEO, It will never rank.
The search engine optimization of your blog or site is like its power booster. But the thing here is a little different; it is not that once you do SEO on your site then it is all sorted. No, you will have to consistently do SEO on your site to keep it ranking.
Actually, it is a repository of knowledge, the more knowledge you acquire, the more you will move forward. If you want organic traffic but you do not do SEO, then you must not start a blog. No, my motive is not to scare you or misinterpret search engine optimization. All I want you to understand is, without SEO your site may not have an existence.
Are you ready?
To know about search engine optimization, even if you are not, I would suggest you to keep reading.
So, let’s start with this SEO journey.
What is SEO?
When you optimize your website for a particular search engine, so that the search engine shows your site among top results in its organic search. This process is called SEO. Search engines provides you with their rules, regulations & guidelines, following them, you have to optimize your site accordingly. These guidelines are also known as Algorithm.
How SEO works?
Search engines make SEO rules and regulations according to their users, which you have to follow. These rules and regulations are made keeping in mind the search history and user performance. The job of search engines is to show better results to its user.
Whenever a site is indexed in a search engine, it is always accompanied with some keywords. Now all the sites indexed under that keyword, among those whoever are in complete alignment with the Search Engine guidelines is shown among the top results, and accordingly Google update them in their database and keeps updating this data.
When a user searches for that keyword, the list of sites is shown in the same order. The search engine shows the ones whose SEO is better. The search engine rechecks the site after a certain time. Then he moves the index up or down in the search result based on whether the SEO has improved or impaired. This process goes on to show a very specific result.
Whenever we make a blog or websites, we have only one objective. Make your site accessible to more and more people, for which organic search results are considered best. If a user has a query, he puts that query in search engine and makes a search to look for the answer. And it is then the search engine that locates all the indexed websites to reflect the results to that user.
In a day more than millions of searches are made on search engines, and to give a good user service search engines create many such guidelines for users and websites.
Why does Google make so many rules and regulations than rest of the search engines?
As I told you, Google started in 1997 and started by 2004 was being used everywhere. Google focuses on giving better results and quality service to the user than the rest of the search engines. For which he always changes the rules and regulations.
People started getting better results and Google’s customer base kept growing. Among all search engines, Google alone has 75% search. To ensure the same level of customer engagement Google keeps upgrading its algorithm.
Now you must have understood what SEO is and why it is needed. Without SEO you cannot even wish for organic reach on your blog. And unless you get organic reach on your blog, your dream to create successful blog is incomplete.
Along with doing SEO, you have to submit your site to the search engine. When you submit your site to the search engine, then the search engine sends bots to your site to read it. The ranking increases when the SEO of your site is good, and the ranking decreases when it is bad.
These ranking keep fluctuating like this, due to which the traffic of your site keeps increasing or decreasing. So, the first step of SEO after creating a blog is to submit your site in search.
For this, every search engine has its own webmaster tool, if we talk about Google, then Google has changed its name to Search Console.
You have to go to the search console and create an account from your email. After the account is created, the submit site box opens, where you have to enter the main URL of your site. After which there will be verification. After verifying, Google knows that this is your site. There are many ways to verify, you can verify your site using any of those methods.
After this, your work is finished, now the search engine’s bots crawl through your website. On the search console, you can also know the traffic of your site.
Let us now talk about how SEO is done. But before doing SEO, it is very important for you to know what the various types of SEO are.
If we talk about the type of SEO, then there are mainly 3 types.
- WHITE HAT SEO
- GREY HAT SEO
- BLACK HAT SEO
Let’s know about them one by one.
1. WHITE HAT SEO
This type of SEO is considered to be the best and useful in terms of search engines. When you follow the search engine guidelines on your site, this SEO is called WHITE HAT SEO.
Meaning when we do SEO in real terms, it is called WHITE HAT SEO. It takes a lot of time to do this; there is no fixed time limit. This depends on your target keywords and your competitor’s websites.
2. GREY HAT SEO
Gray Hat Seo happens to be the middle type between White and Black. To do this, some black hats and some white hats are taken. As an example, when you take an expire domain, and create your blog site on it.
Now taking an expired domain is black hat work, and making your real site is white hat. There are many people who work this mixed way so that their site can get the organic traffic quickly.
But as I said that’s why Google keeps upgrading its algorithms, the search engine can block your site, and remove it from their data. Therefore, I will not advise you to do this ever, especially when you are completely new in this field.
3. BLACK HAT SEO
Through this SEO technique, you work to bring traffic to your site as quickly as possible. When you work in a hurry, it is either messed up or wrong.
In the same way, in Black Hat SEO, traffic is brought to site by doing the work that the search engines don’t suggest doing. When the search engine comes to know of this being practised on a site, it removes the entire site from its data. Therefore, it is my request, you should never use it.
Now, why do people do it anyways?
Majorly, hackers or people who want their product or service to be ranked quickly use it. But the moment the search engine gets to know about it, they delete the blog from its data and so the site does not reflect in the search results anymore. So never practise it.
If we talk about the parts of SEO, then mainly it is done in 3 parts.
- ONPAGE SEO
- OFFPAGE SEO
- TECHNICAL SEO
These three SEO techniques are significant in its own way. To get good results and quick rankings, you have to use all three SEO techniques if possible. So, let’s discuss it one by one, why is it needed and how to use it.
Whenever we start doing seo, we have to do on-page first. Without doing this, there is no point in doing rest of the two. In other words, without on-page seo, your site will not be ranked.
Why is On-page SEO important?
When you submit your site on search engine for indexing. The search engine bots then crawls your site, and searches for all the major keywords. These are the very keywords on which your site or blog ranks. In onpage seo we do the job of inserting keywords on site so that the search engines can find our keywords easily. The better your onpage, the quicker your site will be crawled and expected to rank.
How to do Onpage SEO?
Whenever you start writing content, you have to write keeping onpage in mind. Let’s say your main keyword is “fat loss diet”.
You must use your main keyword in the following places in your article:
1. Page Title (Meta title) and Headings (H1): The title of the article is very important, while writing it, make sure that your main keyword is present in the title. Try not to exceed 55-60 words in the title.
Example: Top 10 fat loss diet plan for women
2. URL structure: Another place is the url of your post, it should also contain your keyword.
3. The first paragraph of the article: When you write your article, try or insert your main keyword within the first 100 words.
4. Meta Description : Use your keyword when writing a meta description. Your meta description appears with the title and URL in the search result. Readers read this before reading the blog, so it is very important to use it.
5. Image alt-text: Whenever you are adding an image, using keywords in the image’s alt-text also ranks your image. This can give you better result.
6. In content: Whenever you write your content, use the keywords in the paragraph along with the sub-heading. And of course based on the number of words that has been used in his article; suppose your article is 1000 words, then you should use your keyword maximum 5-6 times.
After Onpage SEO, the search engine lists your article on your set keyword. But on which search result page your article will show, that depends on Offpage seo.
Search engines have thousands of sites and blogs listed for the same keyword. Not all the sites and blogs can be shown at first page. For this, the search looks for all the sites that follow many rules and guidelines and the site which follows all gets first place in the search results.
What does a search engine check?
If said in simple words, the search engine checks the popularity of your blog. And number of backlinks if I say it in technical words. The more backlinks a site has, the more popular it is considered. If that backlink is taken from the site related to the same niche, then it gets more importance.
As an example, suppose two different sites have written a blog on the same keyword. Search engines kept both sites’ blogs in their data. The first site has 50 total backlinks while the second site has only 10 backlinks. Now as soon as someone searches for that keyword, then one of the two blogs has to be shown first.
Now starts the main work of Offpage seo. The search engine will check the backlinks of both sites, whoever will have better backlinks will get first place. In this case chances are the article with 50 backlinks will be shown first followed by second.
Always create backlinks from the authority site, which will improve your site ranking quickly. And also try to make backlinks from places where your opponent is creating their backlinks.
To create backlinks in offpage seo, you can adopt the following methods:
1. Guest Posting: Always guest post on authority site where you get good backlink which can promote your site.
2. Comment and Review: You will find many good sites where you get the option to submit a review or comment on a product. You have to find sites that are related to your niche and takes guest comments. There, you have to write a good review or comment and give a link of your blog in the anchor text.
3. Bookmark Submission: A bookmark is a link given to your anchor text keyword, which is neither inside a blog nor in a comment. This bookmark is usually in the sidebar page of the site. You can also use this type of site for backlinks.
4. Image Submission: Like guest posts, there are many sites for submitting images, where you can upload your image and you can also add a link to that image.
5. PDF submission: You can make a PDF submission on the file sharing website and you can take a backlink by adding a link.
6. PPT Submission: You have submitted the product or website visually by creating it as PPT which is called PPT submission.
7. Directory submission: Many open directories will also be found on the Internet where you can submit information about your business and take backlinks.
8. Infographic: Like image submission, infographic is also very effective, for backlink you can submit infographic on a site like Google Images. That can give you good results.
9. Broken link: This method is very effective for backlinks, but you always have to search for such sites. When a guest link is given on a site or blog from a website and has been active for some time, and somehow the guest site or blog gets closed, that link is called a broken link. You have to search for such a link and then contact the host website via mail to take that link. The better your writing method, the more links you can expect to get.
10. Exchange: This method of creating backlinks is also used a lot, what happens in it, if you give backlinks to a host site, and the owner of the host site gives you a backlink in return from his site. Meaning backlinks are exchanged, but I would like to advise you not to use it much or else Google can spam you.
The search engine checks the technical seo to show the best results to its user. You must have seen this many times or it may have happened to you. When you do on-page and offpage SEO, and bring a huge traffic on your site, but not for so long. Soon the search engine reduces the blog listing. The most frequent reason for this is the Technical SEO.
It happens because even when everything on your blog is good, but the user did not like your blog’s interface or the platform, then they will start to move to a different platform. And in that case, even the search engine follows the user and where it goes, and ranks the site on which people are spending more time. This can happen even if your onpage and offpage SEO is good but the interface is as per the user’s liking.
Above we had taken an example wherein one site had 50 backlinks and another had 10 backlinks. Now suppose the technical seo of the site with 50 backlinks is not good and the one with 10 backlinks is really good. In that situation, the blog with 10 backlinks will show above the one with 50 backlinks.
What is mainly seen in Technical SEO?
Search engine looks at the performance of the site, especially in the technical seo. Some of the main points of measurement are given below:
1. Speed: How long your site takes to open after clicking. If it takes more time, then the users will move to another site.
2. Mobile Friendly: Internet now is majorly used on mobile or small display devices. If your site is not built accordingly, the user will not like your site.
3. Readability: User can move away from your site even when the font of your blog is small or the article is not aligned or easy to read.
4. Cache: If you use Cache system, then the opening speed of your site increases farther, that can help you keep the user engaged. You can increase the speed of your blog by using cdn.
Apart from this, you also have to keep in mind that in the technical seo, the template of your blog should be good. The beautifully you decorate your site and keep it user friendly, the more the user will like it. The search engine looks at all these things and uses them in the ranking of the site.
I hope this answers all you questions related to SEO. If you feel there is still something you want to know, then you can connect with me.
I must say, these days QUALITY-SEO has become more important than QUALITY-CONTENT.
Thank you !